In order to achieve food self sufficiency and enhance the cash income of individual Bhutanese farmers of Punakha, Wangdue Phodrang and Tsirang, the farmers are encouraged to produce vegetable, fruits and livestock produce and supply to Punatsang-Chhu Hydroelectric Project 1 and 2. In the spirit of Indo-Bhutanese friendship, the construction companies of PHEP 1 has agreed to support this initiative.
Memorandum of Understanding for the supply order was signed on 14th June 2012 among the representative of Larson and Turbo (L&T), Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) and Farmer Group Representatives of Punakha, Wangdue Phodrang and Tsirang.
Project Supporting Agencies:
- Department of Agricultural Marketing and Cooperatives
- RNR-RDC Bajo,
- Punakha Dzongkhag Administration
- Wangdue Phodrang Dzongkhag Administration
- Tsirang Dzongkhag Administration
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forests